Published Date Written by Staff ReportThe victims of a deadly fire in Orono late Saturday night are believed to be two brothers, 49-year-old Cris Davis of Milford and his 47-year-old brother, Randy Davis, who owns the house where the fire took place, the Maine State Fire Marshal's Office reported.
The bodies were to be examined by the State Medical Examiner's Office Monday. Investigators said the two brothers and a friend were out drinking Saturday night and were driven home by a taxi. The friend then had the taxi continue on to his home in Bangor. There had been concern early on that the friend also might have perished in the fire, since his vehicle was in the Davis' driveway, but on Sunday, the Department of Public Safety reported that the third man who was unaccounted for had been located at mid-morning in his apartment elsewhere.
Fire investigators are looking at either the wood stove or the chimney as possible causes of the fire, which was discovered by an Orono police officer on patrol, just after 3 a.m. Sunday, the Department of Public Safety reported. There were no working smoke detectors in the house, officials said. This was the second deadly fire in greater Bangor in the past two months where smoke detectors were a factor. An Orrington father and his three children died Nov. 9 when fire swept their home. Investigators say there were no working smoke detectors at that fire either.